Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Butterfly Barb

Since we live so close to a big river, we have our share of flying insects. Mainly the May Flies who hatch in the Spring each year and can be found everywhere. They are nothing more than flying food to all of the creatures who live on insects. It's an annual feast.

But we do have more than our share of flying insects all summer long. And since its all food to the spiders we have our share of spiders. Knocking down the webs outside the house is an ongoing battle.

Barb hates spiders. Barb has made some facial expressions and some body movements upon seeing a spider that I have never seen before. She dances. She winces. Her arms flap up and down like she's trying to fly away.

And then I walk over with a paper towel and smuch the poor spider.

Sunday I was relaxing, watching the Phillies on their way to sweeping the Mets series, when suddenly I heard Barb coming quickly in through the back of the house. I knew she had just been walking in the backyard.

Barb turned the corner and said "Look!" I squinted and focused in on her hand thrust out before me. She was holding a Monarch Butterfly she had just plucked off our Butterfly Bush. "Isn't it beautiful?" she asked.

"Shouldn't we put it back?" I responded.

I couldn't help but smile. I was certainly surprised. The gal who went into wild voodoo dances when she saw a spider thought nothing of just grabbing a butterfly off a bush in the backyard.

But Barb is certainly more of a butterfly herself. She's nothing like a spider. And I guess two of a kind get along. Barb picked out the Butterfly Bush for our backyard in hopes of attracting butterflies. It has worked. And now Buttefly Barb is walking into the house with 'em. (smile)

No comments: