Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Little of This, Little of That

Some exceptional pecan pie showed up at the deli across the street this past week. Barb first came back with one slice and my eyes grew wide. I love pecan pie.

My sister had found the best pecan pie of all time, at a caterer north of Harrisburg who retailed some of their catered goods each Saturday. For awhile I was floating in corn syrup heaven - the world's best pecan pies on demand every Saturday. I was having a pecan pie every week. Then they suddenly stopped retailing and stuck strictly to catering. It was gone. I love pecan pie.

My Dad's pecan butter tarts are also on the top of the list. He makes mini-pecan pies in a tart form about 3 to 4-inches in diameter. They'll make you weak in the knees. You'll find yourself suddenly giving out an audible "mmmmmmmmmmmm," and then catch yourself in a quick blush. I love those pecan butter tarts. (Note to self: Get that recipe!)

And now, hard at work in our kitchen, is Barbara Albert, building what she claims to be the best pecan pie that has graced this Earth. And she's hard at work just because I love pecan pie. (shaking head) You've got to love this girl - and I do.

I'll let 'ya know how it turns out. I'm very excited.

We visited our butcher for the first time since the radiation treatments. Recovering from the radiation treatments life had to be made simple, and meat from the grocery store would serve just fine, without a separate trip to the butcher. But with my fickle tastes wanting fresh, clean, simple flavors - it was time to get back to the butcher shop.

Now my butcher shop is the real deal. I asked them once how long they've been in business - over 120-years - 120-years! That's a long time. Their smokehouse is unbelievable. The ham is the best you've ever tasted. (That's why Easter is held here in Marietta.) You interact with my butcher. You discuss what you're trying to accomplish. You cut down meat to suit. The ground beef is magical, like nothing you've ever seen, so bright red, and after it's cooked not a spot of grease from fat. It's just so lean. And it's ground fresh continuously in 10 to 20-pound spots.

Yes. I still love pecan pie.

And I love my butcher.

I cooked Charlie and Alyssa filet mignon one night, with a red wine sauce from a little pan reduction. Charlie took one bite and turned to me and said, "Man! Your butcher is incredible!" (The cook forgot again....lol)

Time to peak in on the world's best pecan pie in progress.

I'm so lucky to have Barbara fighting by my side through all of this. She is my angel.

No comments: