Sunday, June 1, 2008

Back to the Village

I do think that our social and economic structures will someday move back to the village concept. I think it's already heading in that direction.

When I was growing up we had a milk man, a produce cart, a local butcher, a local baker, everything was right there in the "village." We had carpenters and builders and a foundry. We had local banks, local grocery stores, local eateries. The village was pretty self-sufficient with the exception of the most specialty of specialties.

Then in my time everything was nationalized and all the local businesses conceded to Wal-Marts and shopping malls.

I think that's really starting to end.

I think people will stay home more, or at least closer to home, and start looking local once again.

Why?

Well, for one, the cost of gas. It's much easier to run to the end of town then to the mall downtown. And with the cost of gas I think people will be more and more willing to pay more to have goods delivered. So I think the day of the milk man may someday come back.

Also, there's more natural trust and accountability in doing business locally. A local businessperson knows they'll see you in church, at school functions, around town. Doing business locally demands working hard for a solid reputation. Doing business nationally is anonymous.

We try to do as much business locally as possible. It just seems to make simple sense. Why do to the national chain pharmacy when we have a locally-owned pharmacy? We get to build business and personal relationships with people, our neighbors, not a national branding identity.

More and more I see and hear in local people this same desire to stay at home. I think we're coming back to the village model. As populations continue to grow and resources continue to dwindle, I think we'll find life in the village our solution.

No comments: