Saturday, June 21, 2008

The African Bushman





Photo of the Day
The new decks and pavers, early Spring


Now this may not seem like a discussion of good taste or sophistication. But once you're diagnosed with cancer examination of bodily functions becomes a necessary daily event.

I regularly recall a conversation I had with a gastroenterologist last summer before I had my colonoscopy. (By the way, Dave Barry wrote a great column about his colonoscopy here.)

The gastro doc told me that the African Bushman had the best stool of anyone in the world.

OK. I thought to myself.

He explained that the African Bushman ate very little red meat and tons of fiber so their stool was the best, one gigantic, big, long stool - which is a sign of great digestion and good health.

This also added up to, he said, very, very little, if any colon cancers amongst the African Bushmen.

Considering one of the main side-effects of chemotherapy is a tank ripping through your digestive system, I always remembered what the gastro-doc said and did my best to strive to be like the African Bushman.

Not long ago I asked Alyssa and Charlie if they knew why cats and dogs examine the result of their bowel movements. Are they just proud? They looked at me in bewilderment.

I explained to them that animals have an innate nature about them. They examine their "stuff" to check on their own health.

"Really?" Alyssa asked.

Really.

We're not always as smart. We can learn somethings from animals.

So look at your "stuff." I do. I strive to be an African Bushman.

No comments: