Sunday, December 30, 2007

No News is Good News

I've started to get into a bit of a rhythm about things, a routine that seems to keep me at my best.

There's nothing very exciting about it. But boring is good for me. And no news is good news.

I've always kind of liked boring, as strange as that may sound. I much prefer stirring up my own excitement rather than be randomly bombarded by it. I guess I feel better being in some control.

I've always been a very mellow, quiet guy too. I'm just not interested in a lot of drama. I really have trouble understanding folks who have a short-temper, or like to fight and argue. Boring is good. No news is good news. Just keep it nice and smooth.

And keeping a nice, quiet, predictable routine is working for me.

I still have to build fitness and strength, and that will continue for sometime. The impact of radiation really threw me on my behind for a few months. And that lethargy really weakened me overall. My soccer coach in high school always said that it takes months of regular exercise to be in good shape, and only days without exercise to lose it.

I'm devoted to the routine of the daily exercises and I can already tell the difference they've made. Hopefully by early Spring I'll be back on the Trek bike, and once again become a regular site speeding through the streets of Marietta again.

I've learned to manage the side effects of the chemotherapy as good as I think I can. I can overcome the fatique simply by staying busy and staying active, however simple the activity may be. Of course there are days when the fatique just demands a nap. But I am getting a better handle on it by building daily schedules for myself.

The right combinations of medicines and menu have chased the severe digestive issues away. Again it takes sticking to routines and predictable habits to keep things routine and predictable for me, and my body.

It's not exciting. But I'll take the boring. I'll take the routine. A day where I can control my schedule is a successful happy day for my body, and another step toward continuing to get stronger.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You seem a little scarce on the comments so..I am going to help out. (By the way, whoever reads this, my parents DO like comments and encouragements)
Glad to hear you are back on a good routine and that every new day is a better day. Have a Great New Year Year!

New Years Resolution*
Mom and Jim can return to there almost normal lives, and never have to worry about the C word again!

Barbara Albert said...

Alyssa thank you for caring so much as usual. We love you and Charlie both very much. Thank you for always being so supportive.