Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Merry Christmas

Yep. That's right. I said "Merry Christmas" instead of "Happy Holidays." I just don't understand a benefit of taking the Christ out of Christmas.

Is political correctness smashing everything into a soft, lifeless, mush.

It's all gotten a little silly. It's fine to wish someone "Happy Hanukkah" or "Happy Kwanzaa." But don't wish someone "Merry Christmas."

I'm interested in other religions, beliefs, cultures, backgrounds. It gives me broader understandings. And, if anything, only serves to strengthen my own beliefs.

Why can't we celebrate diversity and celebrate differences? Why can't we enjoy each of our cultures and backgrounds?

A few years ago a Jewish family in Lebanon County threatened to sue a school district over a Christmas concert that included Christian-based Christmas songs. The school district, with no time to change the material for the concert, chose to simply cancel the concert under the threat of legal action.

Why work to destroy rather than build? Why work to subdue music and celebration? Wouldn't it have been more productive to organize a concert featuring Jewish music for Hanukkah?

I think I'd enjoy seeing a Christmas Concert, a Hanukkah Celebration, and a Kwanzaa Festival.

When it comes to our diversity, I'd rather live to enjoy it, immerse myself in it, rather than try to squash it into one giant, lifeless paste.

Merry Christmas everyone!

No comments: