Monday, August 27, 2007

New Week, New Developments

Two pretty major things happened for me into the end of last week.

First, it was my father's 80th birthday and a big surprise breakfast was planned in his honor at the Lantern Lodge in Myerstown. This had been a major mark on my calendar for the past 4 to 6 weeks. I wanted to at least have enough strength to attend, and also I wanted to have the ability to eat, to enjoy the breakfast without seeming impolite or rude.

Everything seemed to pull together quite well. My father seemed surprised. I do take after my Dad so I know how he felt. Both of us hate public attention, certainly being the center of attention. But I know he would be touched by such a show of consideration and affection.

And he deserves it. He's put together quite an impressive run of 80-years so far, and he's not done yet by a long shot.

Special thanks to my Mom for pulling the whole thing together, and my sister for getting out the invites. It was a fantastic opportunity for me to see a lot of people at once that I typically do not have enough opportunities to see.

And special thoughts to Muk (Martha) who we know really wanted to join us from Florida but could not - this time. Muk, our thoughts are with you everyday. Be patient as you recover and let your strength rebuild. You were with us in heart!

And as far as food goes...it seems like a minor miracle to me...but I am starting to eat again. It's all so peculiar and I do not completely understand it. Radiation can have such odd effects on our cells.

But I have made some major breakthroughs with the eating and I believe that I am well on my way.

It did start with the infamous hot ham and cheese breakfast sandwiches. At my Dad's party I completely cleaned my plate of french toast and bacon (including Barb's bacon), and I was left still wanting a side order of home fries. By yesterday afternoon I was eating a full chicken roaster dinner that Barb is famous for, complete with mashed potatoes, gravy, and corn on the cob.

So...I'm going to try to keep building on it from there. One thing my doctor said to me on my last visit sticks with me continuously - "It's a shame for you to have to suffer with this (not eating) after all you've already been through."

First day of school in Marietta!

No comments: