Friday, August 10, 2007

How to Help

Before I was diagnosed with cancer I already had made by voice heard on healthcare reform in this country.

To who? Oh anyone who would listen. People who know me well know that I never shy from a good, productive debate.

Being diagnosed with cancer made some of the realities of our current system a bit too real. I, in essence, became one of the victims of the healthcare system that I had previously shown concern for.

An extraordinary amount of people have come forward to ask me "How can I help?" It's been so touching. With such a phenomenal support group around me I've been able to focus on recovery and fighting this thing. I've been so well looked after that I've ended up telling many generous people that "I've got everything I need. Thank you."

But there is one thing that everyone can do, if you deem it worthy. You can help by letting your voice be heard about healthcare reform.

It's always been my belief that we cannot truly consider ourselves a civilized society until we ensure that our sick, elderly, and less fortunate are being cared for. All the values taught me by my family and my church family tell my heart and mind that what we're now doing is actually morally wrong.

The driving force behind all decisions in our current healthcare systems (hospitals, insurance companies, the whole network) is profit. When profit is the driving force in decision making, actual care of our brothers and sisters is at the most secondary.

Do you feel morally responsible disallowing the sick, the elderly, the less fortunate care that they need so profits can still appease board of directors and thus stock holders?

For me - I've been hanging in there but have had to expend a great deal of energies to fighting - with insurance companies, hospital billing departments, government review boards. It's depressing and frustrating. It's crazy.

I know it frustrates the doctors. On many occassions my doctors have had to argue procedures back and forth with my insurance company as the insurance company tries to just put a stop to everything and anything.

Because of pre-existing condition clauses across the industry, a cancer patient like me is stuck without options. No other insurance company will touch me now. And I'm left at the mercy of mine, who of course realize their position of power and works to save money and strip care from thier client - me.

It, of course, is a complex issue. But I do feel it's one of our society's greatest current faults. The immense profits that the healthcare industry has enjoyed in recent years has allowed for investment in new technologies and research possibilities. But it has also resulted in ever-increasing costs while taking advantage of the nation's most at need.

I could write 10-pages...but...I won't. But for all those who have offered help - please consider our current healthcare system, and consider what you may be able to do to make your voice heard.

We have a great country - the greatest. But we can never rest at trying to improve ourselves.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jim
With what you have experienced with the health care dilemma, how would the everday person go about trying to make a change. Do we write to our local representatives, do we go to the PA Ins Commission to demand insurance companies have patient interests above coporate greed. What does the little guy do??? How do you get people involved who have never dealt with some of the situations you have experienced. Are there any answers other than accountability and honesty with the way things are in this country?

I wish I knew.

Anonymous said...

There is only so much us "little people" can do to impact things in our society.

I believe if I discuss it with a neighbor, note it with a store clerk during checkout, mention it politely at a gathering - I am doing something to help.

I have no delusions of finding a magic soap box that commands me the ears of our representatives.

And our representatives belong to the same country clubs our hospital and insurance directors belong to . . . so . . .

I still believe in the abilities of grass roots movements. I still believe in the concept of grass-roots democracy where ideas can evolve to the forefront by the will of the populace.

So, please, just tell your neighbor.

How many people think about the "big picture" of refusing to insure people with pre-existing conditions until they've experienced the unfairness first-hand?