Friday, August 31, 2007

Chicken Fuzz

Every now and then Barb will beam in on me, heading directly for my big, bald head.

I typically prepare myself for a kiss on the top of the head. But often times the kiss never comes, and I ask Barb "Ummmm, what are you doing?"

"Checking things out," she says.

"Checking what out?" I ask.

"Checking out all the hair that is coming in," Barb responds.

Hair? Oh please. She's been saying this to me for at least two months now and I know she's just being polite and supportive, but let's face it, there just hasn't been any hair coming in.

Actually as my scalp has continued to go through cycles of peeling from the radiation the result has been smoother and more shiny. Sure there's been some fuzz up there. But it's been leftover stuff and definitely not growing.

But Barb is so sweet and polite.

Well now though I am willing to admit that the little blonde chicken fuzz on my head is actually starting to grow a little. If you catch it at just the right angle, in just the right light, there it is, little blonde chicken fuzz getting longer.

I've never been much on vanity. So the baldness from the radiation has not really bothered me.

I've been told by the doctors that after whole brain radiation the hair can do anything - not come back at all, come back in full, come back just in spots.

I'm sure for awhile I'll be sporting the Uncle Fester look.

But we'll play out the chicken fuzz and see where it leads to.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You mean I can get to play mother again and say "When are you going to get a hair cut"? While you always had a gorgeous full head of thick hair that grew like weeds and always need to be cut, I will gladly take you completely well without your hair -- hair doesn't matter.

Your old kindergarten teacher, Mrs. Brubaker asked about you today. She was always taken by your gentleness, your manners and your maturity -- you were among her favorite pupils that she keeps in her memory. She also places Doug up there with you. She keeps telling me how lucky we were to have 2 such nice boys who were never trouble makers in school. She never had Karen as a student. Karen's kindergarten teacher always said nice things about her and held her in high regard but keeping her quiet was a challenge.

It is really nice to see how much the folks at Clipper Magazine think about Barb. She is a once in a lifetime gem that is for sure and I feel that the God brought the 2 of you together so that she could care for you and cheer you on during this difficult time in your life. She is sure a rock and I am very grateful for her presence in our family. Love MOM

Barbara Albert said...

Mom Alice,
For you to hold me in such high regard, means so very much to me. I love you for being there in some of the most difficult times and for every other possible reason.

Barbara

Anonymous said...

Thank you Barb for loving me too. I can remember the very first time we met. I think you were as so scared and nervous that you didn't know which way to turn. We were equally as nervous about meeting you if the truth be known. I am so glad things worked out as they did.

God doesn't promise us that things will always be perfect in our lives -- only that He will be there when things get rough. In your short marriage, you sure have had quite a challenge but it is so heartwarming to see your faith at work. It shows that your parents and Paul and I did a good job in placing you on your journey in faith. Watch and pray always. Keep up the good work.

Love you both -- MOM