Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Ham and Cheese Sandwich

"Barb, would you please run across the street to the deli and grab me a ham and cheese breakfast sandwich?" I suddenly asked.

"Really?" Barb answered.

"Yes." I said, keeping my answer short, my focus set.

"OK. I'll be right back," Barb responded. She's asked me countless times if I've wanted something from the deli. She's anxiously awaited the moment I would ask her for something.

Barb was back in a flash, hot ham and cheese in hand. Nothing much, good ham, melted American, on a hamburger roll, wrapped in aluminum foil.

I was focused on the sandwich. I had cravings before which fell to dust upon my first bite. This time I felt different. I felt hungry.

I heard Barb getting a plate out.

"No plate," I quickly asserted.

I was thinking to myself let's just do this, let's just get this over with.

Barb handed me the wrapped up ball of foil and a paper towel. I opened the foil quickly and plucked out the sandwich.

I took a huge bite.

I usually nibble, gingerly, with great hesitation.

It tasted great. Mmmmmmm.....ham.

I took another huge bite, and another, and another.

I didn't stop until I just had one big bite of sandwich left. Suddenly the feat I accomplished became aware to me. I was happy, a little relieved. I was done. I threw the last bite of sandwich away.

It's slow. But the appetite is coming back. If you would have told me last week that I'd be eating a ham and cheese sandwich soon I would have made quite a face.

I went to sleep last evening dreaming of a cheese steak from the Twin Kiss in Myerstown. And it was made exactly the way it was when I was 12-years-old.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How wonderful!!! -- a whole ham and cheese. I have been waiting a long time to hear those words that you can finally tolerate something more that a blueberry muffin. I will be more than glad to splurge on a Twin Kiss cheese steak for you. They are every bit as good as they were when you were 12. Prayers are answered -- mine certainly have been just hearing you say that you were hungry enough for that sandwich. Keep it going. Love Ya Lots MOM