Monday, November 9, 2009

Thoughts in Florida

When I was a real little tyke I apparently couldn't say Martha so I just said "Muk," in reference to my Aunt Martha. In our family it stuck and Muk she became and still is to this day.

Muk was always like a second Mom to me. Even though the Putnam family spent much of their lives working in Saudi Arabia, Muk always kept her family ties to Myerstown very close. Muk is very thoughtful, exceptionally kind, with the biggest heart of anyone around.

In college I would receive notices from the post office now and again that I had a package waiting for me. Curious I'd speed down to the post office and find a shoe box sized package wrapped in plain brown packaging paper. It would always be from Muk. It would be a shoe box filled with homemade brownies or banana bread. It was awesome! When you're living on chili dogs and burritos nothing hits the spot so well as a box of Muk's homemade goodness!

I can't tell you how many smiles Muk has brought to so many people just by taking the time to send a simple card. I know from experience that a card from Muk would seem to show up just in time, when I needed a smile most.

I would visit Muk often when her and Rhea had retired to the Eastern Shore of Virginia. She had rules. No man and woman could sleep together unless they were married. Everyone who stayed for a couple days or so had to swim laps in the pool everyday, kids, adults, everyone. A chart on the fridge tracked daily swimming accomplishments. She was great that way.

A teacher in an American school in Saudi Arabia, a golfer, a tennis player, a housewife extraordinaire, Muk will always occupy a huge part in my heart. This weekend she celebrated her 80th birthday with many close family members traveling to Florida to shower HER with cards.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MUK! Barb and I love you much!

Our thoughts are also with Lou and Doris in Florida this week. Lou is preparing for shoulder surgery. Lou and Doris are also very special, unique people. Doris's heart is as big as the day is long. And Lou? Well how many people do you know who stop their bride halfway down the aisle to sing to them? Lou is that kind of special.

I have no doubt that Lou will pull through the surgery well. He's a tough guy. But I also know he's a typical stubborn male gorilla like me, so I ask him to practice patience with his recovery time. It's something I have to be reminded of myself quite often.

Oh, and to all our friends and family in Florida...it's 41-degrees up here and I'm extremely jealous!!! lol (pouty lip)

No comments: