Thursday, November 19, 2009

Powdered Doughnuts

My Dad is scheduled for a procedure on Monday to remove fluid from his lungs. From what I understand he will just need a local anesthesia for this process. As long as his lung does not deflate during the process it should be a relatively simple process.

The doctor and medical team does not know what the fluid is or where it is coming from. Thus in removing the fluid they can sample and test it as well to hopefully determine what is causing it.

According to my Mom she has noticed some moments of my father running a little short on breath. But beyond that he seems like the same guy we know and love.

He's a fighter. He's a tough guy. He's a warrior.

We're hoping that things go very well on Monday so perhaps Dad can join us in Myerstown for the Thanksgiving holiday. But if he can't, we'll be taking the holiday to him.

My Mom often tells me that my Dad often asks about my condition.

It was very strange the day I was diagnosed with cancer. On that same day my Dad had his first small stroke. Plus my good friend had his house foreclosed on, which was before the economic crisis. Man was that a day. Whew.

My condition could be better. I'm not going to lie. I've been through a lot lately and it is taking its toll on me. But as the doctor asked Barb and I during our last meeting, "Are you feeling depressed at all?"

"Him?" Barb answered. "I don't think so."

Depressed? Never. I rest my soul in the Lord's hands who gives me the power to persist through the roughest of waters.

Grouchy? Well sure. When I'm feeling lousy I can't help but feeling a little grouchy. I've found that being a little whiney helps a little so go right ahead and whine.

Barb and her Mom kindly ran out to fill our fridge and pantry up with food yesterday. I've done some driving around town but not much beyond the borders of Marietta recently. My condition can be very unpredictable, but still more often lousy then good. I can be feeling pretty strong one hour, and an hour later be ready to crawl into a corner and just fall asleep.

But some things don't change. I'm still the same goofball I've always been. Barb picked up some of my favorite little fresh baked doughnuts. It only took a couple minutes for me to have a bunch of white powder from a powdered doughnut down the front of me.

Mmmmmmmmm. They's so good!

No comments: