Saturday, November 14, 2009

I Didn't See That Coming

When the oncologist told me that he was going to put me on Interferon injections I didn't think much of it.

After all Interferon wasn't even a chemotherapy. It's an immune system booster. It boosts your immune system which then starts to eradicate everything in the body that doesn't belong there - like cancer.

To me, this all sounded like it would make me feel good, make me feel stronger. After all how could a stronger immune system make me feel bad? Plus the Interferon was delivered via an injection three times a week. It wasn't like chemo where I would get hooked up to an IV drip for a couple of hours.

This would be easy.

It's been anything but. I think the side-effects from the Interferon have been rougher on me than any of the four chemos I've been on. It has me feeling really lousy. I ache all over. I have tremendous fatigue and just want to rest all of the time. My digestion is all messed up. It's been a challenge to be sure.

The oncologist has prescribed some other drugs to try to counter the side-effects from the Interferon. We'll fill those prescriptions on Monday and hope that it may help. He pretty much has left it up to me on where I want to go with this. He suggested that perhaps I take a "drug holiday." He also suggested lowering my dose of Interferon. He also said he'd stop it if I choose and just switch to a new drug that just came out.

He is convinced that my body will reject any kidney cancer drugs out there, even the new one, because all the drugs have the same basic make-up. That's why he's so indecisive about it all. He seems much more focused now on trying to make me feel better.

I'm going to at least try to live with the Interferon a little while longer. I started this nasty drug, I'd at least like to try to find out if it has had any consequence. I don't like the idea of getting so beat up over nothing. According to the oncologist the Interferon has a response rate of about 15-percent, not very high in the grand scheme of kidney cancer drugs.

This weekend is going to be about recovery. Come Monday morning I will have to commit to eating, exercising, and taking additional drugs that might help see me through this immune system boosting.

(sigh)

3 comments:

Bill Thompson said...

Jim, I've been reading your blogs for many months and we've got you on the prayer chain in our church. Karen and I feel so helpless that there's nothing we can really do to help from 750 miles away. Please know that we really care about you and Barb and whenever I talk to Susan, you are the main topic of conversation. You've been through an awful lot and your positive attitude is commendable. We're rooting for you!
Love,
Bill and Karen Thompson

Barb said...

Thank you Uncle Bill and Aunt Karen, we miss you both very much and thank you for being so kind.

We love you

Jim Albert said...

Guys you can be 750-miles away but I still feel all of your support and prayers, and it means so much to me. I told a doc early on in this process that this was about me but all the wonderful people I'm surrounded by. He looked at me a little strange and then just shook his head.

Take care of yourselves!