Saturday, November 21, 2009

Falling in Place

I'm trying to find a rhythym to my daily activities that seems to agree with me best. I don't think I'm quite there yet. But I do think I'm getting close.

In the morning I'll typically start with a cup of coffee, the news, and the blog. My body is not really fond of the coffee. But the coffee does get my digestive track going which is very important. As we say around this house I will try to "potty like a rock star" before I move on to anything else.

I'll come back down the stairs and Barb will ask me, "rock star?" I'll answer her appropriately, "Yeah! Ringo Starr!"

Whoever thought we'd be having a conversation like that? lol

After that event I usually blog while sorting out my morning pills and planning some breakfast. I like blogging while my mind is somewhat fresh in the morning, although I'm not sure that my morning brain is always the best for spelling and grammar.

I'll start with a simple multi-vitamin, then move into the steroid, before taking a couple supplements. I try to spread things out a little bit because my stomach is not fond of the feeling of a handful of drugs all sitting in there at the same time.

Just this past week the oncologist prescribed me Prozac, but not for its traditional purpose. The Prozac is supposed to fight the fatique that I have from the Interferon. The Interferon is an immune therapy which is being used against my cancer right now. I have injections of it three times a week.

So far I've taken Prozac the last three days. Thursday was the only day thus far where I actually seemed to feel some positive effects from it. Thursday was also the only day when I didn't have an Interferon injection. So we'll see.

The morning pills and breakfast kind of all rollover into the same event, since some drugs require food to be eaten with them. I often have something like a ham and cheese sandwich, and maybe a doughnut.

After I have some food in me I try to do some simple exercises, most stretching. It's not much but it does seem to help me out of course. Some deep knee bends, some leg stretches, some arm stretches, it's always hard for me to get started. But once I get started I get into it.

Then it's time to jump in the shower. I would think that the shower would wake me up and get me going even more. But nothing ever seems logical in the cancer fight. Often when I get out of a shower I feel like sneaking back to bed for a nap. I don't know why. If I can make it through that first hour after the shower without taking a quick nap with Freckles I can last through lunch with a nice little second wind.

With everyday there is a nap or two somewhere, either mid-morning, or early afternoon, or both. It refreshes me and makes me feel like new, well at least for awhile.

I try to stay busy as much as possible, although much of what I do these days is very simple stuff, like changing a light bulb, or making the salad for dinner last night. It seems like the more friendly activity I get involved in the better my fatique is too.

Of course there is another session of pills around dinner time. It's all pretty much the same, except this time there is no Prozac and I have to take six Dilantin instead. Taking six pills at once is a bit of a burden. But that's the way it has to be.

I'm trying to have the more and more strength everyday to get back involved in preparing dinner. Barb and I have always shared cooking responsibilities. As she has been doing all the cooking lately I think she began to appreciate more and more the nights she had off from cooking before. I've always loved to cook. I'm pretty sure that it's because I love to eat.

Through some odd coincidence the painters that our neighbors hired are showing up at our place this morning to paint a small strip of our house that runs between our house and ours. No on else can see this small strip but our neighbors. Still it is something that has been on my list of things to do.

I better get on schedule of events for the day before they show up and start making some noise.

No comments: