Monday, November 12, 2007

A Little Sweat on the Forehead

I do enjoy simple physical tasks. Whether it be painting or dusting or mowing the yard, I enjoy being able to step back when I'm done and soak in what I've accomplished.

For someone who has always spent a lot of mental energy each day in my career, having simple physical energy releases were always important to me for balance.

Today Barb and I will start our second major leaf collection. Today is raking. Tomorrow is bagging. Wednesday they'll come to pick them up.

Thankfully (LOL) we only have one rake, so Barb and I take turns. One of us will go at it until we've had enough and then call for a substitute. The other will step in.

You can't get much more simple, or more physical, then raking leaves. And today I look forward to both the simple and the physical. That's right, I'm looking forward to raking leaves.

The physical part is, literally, just what the doctor ordered. I need to keep seeking better fitness. Raking leaves will work out a few important muscles, and a few I didn't even know I had.

The simple part is refreshing, the brisk Fall air, the beauty of the color of the leaves, the pure awe at the amount of leaves, the smell of the neighbors wood stove, the sight of Barb suddenly running and leaping into a huge pile of leaves (as she did last year).

And in the end today we will stand back and look at the HUGE pile of leaves collected between the tall wooden fence and the grand old oak tree. Then we'll take in the freshly cleaned backyard, already accepting a few new leaves to replace the old ones. We'll smile and give each other a nod, no words being necessary, and we'll soak in what we've simply accomplished.

Life is what you make of it.

No comments: