Sunday, November 4, 2007

Good Morning




Morning light over a cornfield just outside of Marietta as shot by Barb at 45 miles per hour.


I started tossing and turning a bit. I propped myself up to peak at the alarm clock over Barb's shoulder and it read 4:30 a.m. I decided to get up since I have to take the chemo at 5 a.m.

Freckles met me in the upstairs hallway. The Berber carpet is just right for him to dig his claws into a little. So his natural instincts take over and he assumes the pounce position, pumping his paws to feel his claws grip the carpet.

I stumble around him and by the time I reach the end of the hallway he takes off like a bullet and lands aggressively by my right foot. He stops there. He knows. I bite back.

Freckles follows me down the stairs. We stop at the bottom. I stare at a foreign object on the floor, while Freckles stares at me. Stepping around the foreign object I reach the overhead light switch, turn the light on, and turn around to return and find a 6-inch by 2-inch matted, hard, clump of Freckles hair. It was a new record, large enough for me to save on a paper towel for Barb to see later.

Freckles has finally started to shed in his annual seasonal ritual. He first becomes covered in large, matted clumps of hair that look just like lucky rabbits' feet. Now shedding time has finally started.

As I move around the kitchen and sun room Freckles matches my every step, circling my feet, and closing in to rub against my leg every time I stop.

I fix myself a glass of ice water and land in the family room La-Z-Boy. As I reach for one of the 57 remote controls I notice that the clock in the entertainment unit reads 3:34 a.m.

3:34 a.m.?

Don't forget to move your clocks back everyone.

No comments: