Thursday, October 9, 2008

Someone Tell Me When It's Over

I can't stand to watch the news anymore. I can barely stand to check my e-mail.

McCain's going to do this. Obama's going to do that.

Please remember folks, the only thing the President can do without the approval of Congress is start a war. And if a President starts a war without the approval of Congress chances are it's not going far.

The President of our country is like a figure head. It's like our own Queen of England. Taxes, healthcare, the economy, the real question is - do you want McCain or Obama meeting and shaking hands with other leaders around the world?

Since the end of World War II, neither party has resided in the White House for more than two-terms. Americans are fickle, never content, and it results in a constant flipping of power between parties. I think that's a good thing. I think that's the closest thing to Democracy we have.

Our government works like the mafia. There is the Republican mafia and the Democratic mafia. Once anyone is elected to a Congressional seat they are immediately leaned on by the mafias to tow the party line.

I don't like the idea of one of the mafias getting too comfortable and cozy in any position. After two-terms from Bill Clinton I was happy to see the Republicans take back control. After two-terms from George Bush I will be happy to see the Democrats take back control.

It's not that I think one will perform any better as "Queen of the United States" than the other. I just don't want to see one of the mafias settle in because I think it will lead to corruption.

Wisely, our national consciousness, has maintained a nice balancing act. Typically, when a Republican administration takes over the White House, Congressional control seems to sway Democratic, and vice versa.

I don't understand what productive features parties bring to politics. If I step back and look at parties and how and why they formed, I don't like what I see. Parties are formed to try to control and manipulate, numbers mean power. Billions of people in this country can all be represented by just two parties?

I'm proud to be an Independent. I believe in good ideas, not good or bad parties.

Obama says he's going to reform health care and get rid of pre-existing condition clauses. Sounds great to me, a struggle I've personally fought and suffered from. But he can't do that without Congress.

McCain says he wants to buy out middle-class America's mortgage debt. Well, once again, without the backing of Congress that's not going anywhere.

I'm waiting for real dialogue on important issues. Someone please let me know when the mafias are done beating each other up for control.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you. Turning off the TV and reading a book is the only way I can keep from going crazy.