Thursday, October 23, 2008

Getting Focused

The month of doctors' visits is almost over and turning out quite well. Then I'll have the month of November pretty free, except weekly chemotherapy treatments each Friday.

As hard as it is for all of us in our busy lives, I continuously try to organize and get things accomplished.

I hope to be up, eat breakfast, blog, exercise, shower, and be sitting at my desk every morning by 8:30 a.m. But even my plans for the start of the day can be a little ambitious at times.

I'm trying to do a lot of marketing to build the business back-up to what it once was. I'm pretty tough and stubborn. When cancer first came to town, and I went through surgery, I barely missed a beat. I kept on working right through it.

Later on, the whole brain radiation was a bit of a different story and there was little choice then to shut down for a few months.

I think I've reached that point in my career where it's time for me to back off some of the hands on work and start moving into more of the role of a creative director. I can surround myself with valuable resources and talent and be the boss, the leader, the guy pulling it all together and organizing.

I'll never be able to keep my hands completely out of it, but it seems a wise course of action to let the business grow, once I get it back to where it once was of course.

Financially we're doing fine. I just love the work I do. And I just love staring at what once was a blank sheet of paper or a blank computer screen and being able to say to myself proudly, "I did this." I just have a certain passion for it.

I think it's also a good opportunity for Barb to become a business owner. Her office and financial skills are well needed, because that's hardly my strength. And if she's interested I truly do believe that she could do quite well with it. But if she doesn't enjoy it, that's fine too. She shouldn't be doing something that she doesn't like. She will have to find the same interest I've always had for designing communications. And either way, no biggie. It's good to have options.

OK. Have to eat a piece of cantalope yet, get up and exercise, and get through the shower. I don't think I'm going to be at my desk at quite 8:30 a.m.

No comments: