Sunday, October 19, 2008

Change of Season

We're about a week away from the peak colors of Fall the weatherman tells me. Barb and I have to remember to take time to visit Chickie's Rock overlooking the Susquehanna River next week and soak in a little of the change of seasons.

I've never been a huge fan of Fall, though I know many in these parts certainly are. It's just a reminder for me that the bleakness and cold of winter is just around the corner.

Growing up on the hill I never really had to worry about much leaf raking. We would get so much wind up there that the leaves kind of raked themselves.

I remember my Dad taking me to the local high school football games when I was a little tyke. We'd dress warm and fill every one of our pockets with peanuts. Sometimes we'd sit. Sometimes we'd stand. We'd work through those peanuts, cracking open the shells and leaving a trail wherever we'd go. If the nose ran a little you'd wipe it on your jacket sleeve.

At halftime we'd almost always both get a hot dog with sauerkraut. It was so good on a nippy day.

Once we were sitting alone in the stands, just the two of us, and we were in the background of a photo that made the paper the next day, my first claim to fame.

Now our small yard here in Marietta is fenced in. All the leaves fall and they have no where for the wind to take them, except up against the fences.

I've already had my leaf blower out though (thanks Alyssa and Charlie). It's kind of an art to learn how to blow all the leaves in the direction that you want. But I'm enjoying it a lot better than raking! Now I just need a machine that bags all the leaves and I'll be set.

I wish Freckles could bag leaves.

The leaves are about ankle deep extending from the back of the house about halfway through the yard. Only one tree has been dropping leaves so far. Our trees our on a nice rotation and take turns.

The storm windows are pulled and the furnace has had its first run of the season.

Barb and I are trying to figure out when ELCO plays Donegal in football. Perhaps we can go out and watch the game, and stuff our pockets with peanuts.

No comments: