Thursday, October 16, 2008

Phillies and Phreckles

The baseball game last night ran a little past my bed time. When it doesn't start until about 8:30 p.m. I know I'm not going to be able to hang in there for the duration.

Barb, like my Mom, can't go to sleep at night without the TV on. This took a little adjusting for me to get used to. But now I'm so used to it I probably couldn't sleep without the TV on.

One of those screaching tests of the emergency broadcast system woke me up in the middle of the night last night. I was already half-sleeping on top of the remote control so I quickly grabbed it and changed the channel to Sportscenter.

There it was right on the bottom of the screen: Phillies - 5 Dodgers - 2, Phillies advance to World Series.

Barb stirred a little when I left out the "Woohoo!" Then I quickly covered my mouth and grabbed her shoulder. I told her softly "The Phillies won! The Phillies Won!"

"Bofadogudsirrr," she said, or something like that, her eyes just barely squinting at me.

I settled back in. Freckles heard the stir and ran upstairs and into the room to see what all the commotion was about.

Freckles will sleep on the bed with me every chance he gets.

Freckles will not sleep on the bed if Barb is in it. I think because some of her sudden, middle of the tight flip flops.

But last night, as I was quietly celebrating the Phillies win, Freckles jumped right up between us. He never does that.

I watched Freckles walk the length of Barb's body and then he leaned right into her face and touched her nose with his wet nose. I was laughing. Then he turned around stuck his behind in her face and slowly walked back down to the end of the bed.

Barb admitted this morning that she was still awake for all of this.

For some reason, that only Freckles knows, Freckles has never, ever been on the chest at the end of our bed. He just doesn't seem to trust it.

But last night he waltzed off the end of the bed and onto the wooden storage chest. There he sat, looking back at the two of us until we both drifted back to sleep.

Go Phillies!

No comments: