Monday, June 1, 2009

Can I Introduce You Doctors to One Another?

Barb and I went to the neurosurgeon today. We felt that this was pretty much going to be a simple appointment.

Afterall the oncologist called us from an airport on Friday to tell us that he has reviewed by MRI report and everything looked terrific. The three small lesions in the brain that we were watching were all unchanged, completely unchanged in shape or scope.

Based on this scan the oncologist told us we basically had one of two decisions, we could let everything go for another set time and then do another MRI of the brain, or we could go straight to Gamma Knife treatment to treat with radiation what was visible right now.

Before deciding we wanted the neurologist's interpretation of the MRI.

He hadn't even looked at it until he came into the room to see us. He was literally sitting down to look at it for the first time.

"Well there is a new one in the Pons (area of the brain)," he said.

"How do you know that's not a previously treated spot," I asked.

"Well that's a good question," he responded. "Wait, you shouldn't treat lesions in the pons."

"But I've already had two lesions treated in the Pons," I quickly replied. "The radiologist-oncologist treated them successfully but wanted it done right away."

"Really?" my neurosurgeon asked.

Yes really.

What do I have to do to bring these doctors together and get them on the same page? One says one thing, one says another, it's lunacy. It's like trying to get Muslims and Jews to get together and find a way to get along. It just doesn't seem possible.

So now I have to take charge of my own health destiny again, with no medical knowledge. I have to inspire nurses and doctors to do a little more, provide me with more information, interview all doctors involved and come up with decisions that hopefully can prove in my best interest.

I never though my journalism education and career would end up benefiting me so much in my own medical circumstance.

Oh, and I got my fourth erroneous bill for $321 from the hospital this morning. The hospital and my health insurer are arguing over who is going to pay this amount. They both agree that I am not responsible for this bill. But since they can't come to any agreement on which company should pick up this bill they keep putting the burden back onto me. Thanks. Swell. You guys are great. You ever feel like a bug that's just about to get stepped on?

No comments: