Friday, June 12, 2009

Living Healthy

Did I tell you about the red wine mushroom sauce we had last night?

Oh my. Mmmmmmmmmmmmm. It was one of the best things, easily, ever made in this house. And I think we've made a few good things inside these walls.

It was well planned in advance. The "kids" come over Thursday night to join us for dinner (bless their hearts). We always make up a menu that circles around what we plan to serve on Thursday nights.

This Thursday we planned New York Strip steaks cooked on the grill. Because of my condition last summer the grill never came out from under its cover. This year it's spanking clean and has already seen some serious action.

I had my butcher cut four strip steaks for me special. Then yesterday I trimmed them down even more. I have a friend who caught me at a cookout once trimming fat from a steak. "No," she said. "What are you doing? The fat is the best part."

No thank you. I don't care much for chewing the fat, although some I know do.

I trimmed down the strip steaks until every bite would be nice and meaty.

The weather did not cooperate with my grilling plans. Oh I could have pulled it off but it would have been a mess. I decided to broil them. It worked well.

In making our menu plans I suggested a mushroom sauce full of fresh mushrooms that we could just pour all over the steaks. I asked Barb if she was up for the challenge.

Oh my goodness, she was up for the challenge and much, much more. She put a little sauce on each plate and then I plunked a New York Strip on top of the sauce. Then Barb covered the steaks with sauce and mushrooms.

Let me tell you one bite and I was in heaven. Unbelieveable. The steaks were so fresh and so tender, and the red wine mushroom sauce was out of this world.

I slept very well last night.

Oh yeah, we served it with hashbrowns and corn (the only vegetable Charlie will eat).

No comments: