Friday, June 19, 2009

Unexpected Call

I got a call the other day and it was a wonderful surprise. It was my Dad.

My Dad and I like the phone equally, which isn't much at all. Even when he was healthy it would be very peculiar to receive a call from Paul.

My mother had of course set the call up and handed him the phone in the nick of time. I do appreciate that. I haven't been able to get over and visit with my Dad as much as I would like to, with my own struggles.

We had a great conversation. He was right on every sentence, very lucid, and sounded like dear old Dad. I was both a little surprised and also very thrilled. We talked for a few minutes.

My Mom had taken my Dad on a "field trip" out of Spang Crest to home on Golf Road. I could tell he was thrilled to be home. He told me how he appreciated how much quieter it was.

Spang Crest can be noisey. There is always commotion from other residents and nurses. There are flashing lights and constant beeps that monitor some residents. I can appreciate how he would have a hard time truly relaxing there.

When I was in the hospital I experienced the exact same thing. People were constantly coming in and out of my room, nurses, janitors, pastors, guests, cafeteria workers, you name it - just about everyone but a doctor. They cost extra.

My hospital led me to the conclusion that "a hospital is no place for a sick person."

I am still hoping that my Dad can come home. I know that is where he wants to be.

But we do have to ensure that he is going to be safe in that environment. Ultimately it's a decision left to my Mom, since at home she will be his primary and sole source of care, 24-hours a day, seven days a week. I know it is a very difficult decision.

Meanwhile I'm trying to live life as normal as possible. I get up. I get ready. And I go to work just like everybody else. Maybe not just like everyone else. I do only have to walk over to the other half of the house. But that's what I did before cancer came to town too.

Soon I hope to have my web site rebuilt, and will hope to share it with everyone so I can get some feedback and criticisms. Everyone needs editing. As my journalism advisor at Ohio University once told me, "Gather all your information together and then throw 90-percent of it out. Only 10-percent is ever worth keeping."

I've always found that to be very wise and very true, and it extends to a lot of aspects of life.

No comments: