Monday, June 22, 2009

Father's Day

What can I say about my Dad?

Never enough.

My Dad is my hero. He taught me everything. I don't idolize celebrities or athletes or musicians. I idolize my Dad.

My Dad is a very wise man. He taught me so many things just by watching him, just by witnessing how he led his life. He taught me about what is important in life - faith, family, friends. He never cared about material things.

He taught me about humility. He never bragged about accomplishments. He always shunned attention. My Dad never considered himself any better or any worse than anyone else on the planet. He taught me about equality.

He taught me about hard work, fairness, and kindness. My Dad is a great man.

We went to see my Dad yesterday. We had a good visit.

I would like to thank Alyssa and Charlie for going with Barb and I. And I'd like to thank Alyssa for forcing a smile when she saw my Dad, because I know she had to fight back a tear. Thanks Alyssa.

My Dad is generally healthy, but two small strokes have affected his memory. I'm sure with five of us in there all peppering him with questions and comments made it even a little tougher on him. He did repeat himself several times. But he did look good.

It's tough for him to be in rehab. It's noisey. He's surrounded by strangers. It's hard to relax and easy to get confused.

But no matter what, always and forever, I will look up to my Dad like no one else. Happy Father's Day Dad! You are my hero.

No comments: