Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Whew

I feel a little better today after talking to my oncologist and my neurosurgeon yesterday.

Basically the numbness that I felt both Saturday and Sunday are just par for the cancer course I'm on, and neither was overly worried about them.

Saturday mid-morning suddenly my right hand went kind of numb and then the right side of my face followed. Sunday mid-morning the left side of my neck went numb but that did not spread beyond that point. In both cases things cleared up in about 30-minutes.

The oncologist asked me a lot of questions. When he discovered that I was cutting back on my steroid dose, he told me to go back to what I was taking before - one .75 mg pill every morning. He told me that even with small lesions in the brain some wacky things can happen. But he assured me that with the small size of the lesions (none of 2 mm) and no signs of swelling or bleeding on the scans, that nothing serious would occur.

The neurologist had a nurse get back to me and he recommended that I get a complete cardio exam from my primary physician. He doesn't know myself or my case well enough yet. It's not that. I've gone down that road before.

As the oncologist said, with activity in the brain little quirky things can occur. Also after being on chemo for over three-years now (a remarkable feat in itself), something known as neuropathy can occur, which is a nervous system disorder caused by all the chemotherapy drugs.

So I'm feeling better just talking to the doctors about it. I'm going to be careful not to overextend myself too much until it's Gamma Knife treatment time in a couple weeks.

I did have a good laugh though yesterday.

We have a locally owned pharmacy that is great, and they even deliver. One of two older gentleman always delivers our drugs here. I've noticed that when I answer the door the transaction is quickly wrapped up and the delivery man is on his way. But when Barb answers the door, they always stay and talk Barb's ear off for five or ten minutes.

I can't blame them. I'd rather talk to Barb than me.

But interestingly enough, the delivery man asked Barb yesterday if that was her son who sometimes answers the door.

LOL LOL LOL

No comments: