Monday, July 28, 2008

The Mystery Neighbor

Once my Uncle Rhea had stopped in to visit the Albert clan up on the hill. I was probably about 16 at the time.

He was out on our back porch taking in the view. From our porch you could see for miles and miles and miles.

I walked over to him and I'll always remember what he said to me, "You realize what a great spot your Dad has here don't you?"

I said, "Yes. I do." And I did realize it. I, of course, had been to many of my friends houses. No one had a view like I had. No one had the privacy that we had. Often times growing up I'd just lay in the grass and take in all the lights shining through the valley, and all the stars above.

My Dad didn't need 7-acres, and certainly didn't want to mow 7-acres. But he didn't want neighbors. I can't blame him for that.

Sure, I'd love to have found that kind of location for myself. But, as you all know, the cost of land has risen considerably since 1964. I really don't mind being in a small town, with neighbors close on either side.

But as they say, you can't pick your neighbors.

On one side of us we have a three-story historic brick structure that once was the Marietta post office. Now the building houses two-apartments, and a clock repair shop on the first floor.

The apartments have had steady residents, nice folks all around. But we really don't see or hear from them much.

On the other side of us we have a three-story historic brick structure that is owned by a lady from Berks County. This lady is rarely there though. It seems she set up the house for her son to live in.

Her son we've conversed with many times, over the backyard fence. He's a good guy. But he's a bit of a mystery.

I'd guess he's in his late 20's. He does not have a job. But he has enough money to feed himself. I know he does do things like remanufacture Star Wars characters from other Star Wars characters and then sell them on E-Bay. It's a little strange.

Once he showed me a Gargoyle lamp he bought for his one hallway because the existing wall sconce was "boring." I call him the mad toy-maker.

For the first couple years here he always had a friend who stayed with him. They were different friends who would stay a couple months and move on. It seemed obvious that the deal was that the friend could stay there rent free if they did all the work, cleaning the house, taking out the trash, mowing the lawn.

One fine day our neighbor learned that he had a two-year-old daughter. Now there's a surprise. The mother of the child, of course knew he was the father but told another man that he was actually the father of the child. Whew, what a soap opera.

But the woman had misgivings and finally decided to tell our neighbor that he was the actual father. One look at the young girl and there's no mistaking who the father is.

A big legal battle has ensued it seems. And for us, it's become one big, gigantic, strange mystery.

For awhile the mother, father and daughter all lived next door. Then one night their house was surrounded by 10 policemen who took them both into custody. Later our neighbor told us that he tried to commit suicide because he was distraught over the death of his grandfather.

Several weeks later he told us he had to go to Reading for a week to cut grass for his grandfather.

Shortly after the police incident we saw in the paper that they had both filed for protection from abuse orders.

(shrugging shoulders)

It's quite a mystery.

Now the biggest mystery of all - no one has been at the house now for at least six-weeks. He was an animal collector, a couple of dogs, cats, a feret and a bird. We knew he took the dogs with him. But every morning we would see the cats at a slightly open second story window.

Who was taking care of them?

We had a business card from a cousin of his and finally called to inquire about the care of the remaining animals. In a couple of days someone came and picked them up. Now and again, someone will show up to mow the yard and pick up the mail.

It's quite a mystery. We'd love to hear the story behind it someday, but I doubt we ever will.

No comments: