Friday, July 11, 2008

Easing Into the Weekend

After doctor and treatment visits on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, we're kind of taking it easy today. Although I did get the leaf blower out and played pick-up sticks in the yard. Then Barb followed by spreading some weed and feed throughout the yard. It was just such a beautiful summer's day today, and we're determined to have a green, healthy yard, although the yard seems to have other ideas.

I'm continuing to feel better and better. The fatique is not nearly as bad as it had been. I've gained a couple of pounds also.

As we entered the cancer center for my doctor visit and treatment on Thursday we ran into my oncologist who was supposed to be on vacation to his home in India. We spoke briefly. Unfortunately, although he received a kidney transplant in the Fall of 2007, it is not going very well, and he was not able to make the trip. When, and whether, he is coming back to work no one seemed to know. A nurse offered to us that he is back on dialysis.

This oncologist has been seeing me now for almost two-years. The oncologist that filled in for him on Thursday took one look at my huge case file and said, "Well, of course I haven't caught up on all of this (pointing to the huge, bulging file) yet."

Whether this is a blessing or a curse, well we'll see. Regardless the oncologist we have seen now for two-years is a great guy, and we wish him well.

I know the oncologist that is substituting for him is hoping he'll make it back so his case work doesn't suddenly boom. He did talk with the Interventional Radiologist about a possible procedure to remove the growths in my liver. But you could tell his heart wasn't too interested in being involved.

It seems like the feeling of the oncology office is to let the Torisel continue to work the magic it has worked thus far, and keep a procedure to remove the tumors on the back burner.

My family doctor said "Let's not sit on this."

The Interventional Radiologist's position was "with these things, it's sooner is better than later."

So, over the next few weeks we'll figure out the gameplan. I'm so happy with what the Torisel has already done, I could very well be in agreement to let it keep working for awhile. But I want to keep up an aggressive posture.

The more people you talk to, the more opinions you get.

A nurse in the chemo room, with a thick Russian accent, took great disagreement with me when I answered her question about my hair.

"How did you get those blonde stripes in your hair?" she asked me.

"Oh that's radiation and chemo hair," I said with a laugh. "I've been told that once you lose all your hair to this stuff it comes back in like it first did when you were a baby."

"NO. That's not true," she sternly answered. "Everybody is different, sometimes curly, sometimes not at all, always different."

OK. There's always disagreement.

I can tell you that one great thing that cancer has offered me is peace. I never argue, never ever with anyone. I don't get mad or upset about anything. It's not worth it. Life is too short for silliness like that. That I've learned.

Someone breaks into my car to steal two-dollars in quarters. No problem. Help yourself. The police never show up after keeping us waiting for four-hours. No big deal. With limited officers I'm sure they get real busy.

Que sera sera, whatever will be, will be.

I'll let you in on the secret. Whenever you're getting frustrated, mad, upset, don't think about your curses in life, think about your blessings. It works for me everytime.

No comments: