Monday, January 4, 2010

Here We Go, Manic Monday

Anyday I don't have to deal with my health insurance company, or the billing department at the hospital is a good day. I think it' safe to say that I already have my hands full today. What a mess.

Yesterday, just out of curiousity, Barb looked up the side-effect of Interferon, the current cancer drug I'm on. She just kept listing them and listing them and listing them. I politely cut her off. Thanked her. And said, "Jeesh, why don't they just list what it doesn't effect."

It effects everything, and I certainly feel most of them. I've lost about 20-pounds now even though my appetite is still good and my eating is still strong. What I've lost is body mass. My body is just shrinking. Everything is getting smaller. It's hard to explain.

Typically when you think of losing weight you think of shedding some unnecessary fat, maybe around the waist or the buttocks. But this is different. Everything shrinks down towards the bone.

It makes my body much more sensitive. That body mass was a buffer for my body. It protected me from feeling the elements. Now I can walk from the bedroom into the hallway and notice the slightest temperature change. With the freezing temperatures outside, I can't even imagine stepping outdoors. The freezing weather would just shoot right through me.

Yes, when I do have to go outside I am dressing in layers like Nanook the Eskimo Boy.

It can be a little frustrating when you're exercising and eating and doing everything in your power to build up the body mass...but still...nothing. I do think that my weight is finally reaching a low level where it won't continue to shrink.

I mean this is cookie season after all. I've never had a huge sweet tooth. But when I walk through the kitchen and there is just a plate of homemade cookies or brownies sitting there...oh my...I get all excited and just can't control myself.

I do believe that our son-in-law's Mom, Maria, makes the best cookies I have ever had in my life. They're all Italian creations. They're all extraordinary. I polished off the first batch in a couple of days. I just received a second batch yesterday. WOW!

Excuse me. I might need a couple now. (Munch. Chew. Chew. Bite. Munch. Chew.)

INCREDIBLE!

I had to grab one of my wife's incredible brownies too.

How can't I gain weight?!?!?!

No comments: