Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Well That's Done

Barb and I woke up at 4 a.m. this morning. With very sleepy eyes we got ourselves ready and drove to LGH's Health Campus for my 6:45 a.m. PET scan.

The PET scan is specifically used to detect cancer. Cancer cells divide very rapidly. Rapidly dividing cells draw and gather sugar. So cancer cells draw and gather more sugar than other areas of the body. So for the PET scan they inject me with radioactive sugar, let me sit for an hour reading old magazines so it can run throughout my system, and then run me through a tweaked CT scanner.

We'll get the results tomorrow morning when we meet with the oncologist.

I'm not feeling very anxious about any of this.

I already know I have cancer. So there's not going to be any big news there.

The reason for this scan is to see if some of the small spots I have are just dead cells and scar tissue or active areas. If areas are active they will "light up" on the PET scan.

The lack of sleep and the early hours, combined with an hour of bad magazines, has taken its toll on me. There could be a nap this afternoon.

But I have learned about creating stark, muted designs from some home decorating magazine.

No comments: