Thursday, July 16, 2009

Meeting with the Doc

We're both up early again. The coffee is brewed. Freckles has been fed. We're getting ready to go see the oncologist.

Our oncologist is an impressive doctor. We're fortunate to have him on our team. He really addresses the complete picture of cancer, physical, emotional, quality of life, everything.

Upon our first meeting with him I was immediately impressed when he turned around, looked at Barb, and simply asked "How are you doing?" He not only recognized the trials and tribulations this disease puts me through, but also the effects it has on those who are close to me.

We expect to discuss the results of yesterday's PET scan this morning. It should be interesting.

I've also been concerned about the possibilities of neuropathy after more than three-years of continuous chemo. In the past two-months I have random moments of numbness and my eyes will get very tired and go a little blurry on me. I'd like to question the doctor extensively on these issues.

We have learned that there are yet two more chemo drugs that have been approved by the FDA for the treatment of kidney cancer. The current chemo Sutent has really been working like a champ. But, like all kidney cancer chemos, the day will come when it stops working.

I've really been pushing lately to spend more time outside. It can be tough because at home I always know that I have my best chances of handling however I might feel day-to-day. But it is important to get out too.

We've started taking walks, which has been great. Everyday I want to get out.

Today after the visit with the doctor I'm hoping to make a couple stops in Columbia. We need wine, white and red. No we don't drink it. We don't drink at all. But we do cook with it.

It is ironic. I've always loved a nice pint of Guinness. Now I live within two-blocks of two great, historic pubs who both serve Guinness and I don't drink. I don't drink at all. My stomach just can't take it. No big deal though. I laugh at the irony of it. Life is peculiar. All you can do is laugh.

So we're going to stop quick to pick-up some cooking wine. I need some Cabernet to deglaze the pan and finish off my tenderloin filets.

Then we're hopiing to visit a farmer's market in Columbia (just a mile south of Marietta) that we didn't know existed. Our hopes are high that this will be a nice market. I've definitely been on a hunt for a good local source of produce.

We were in the grocery store the other day and they had a big sign up in the produce department "California Strawberries."

I thought to myself, "I wouldn't be too proud of that."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep hanging in there. We'll just keep doing what we have to do to keep you feeling good!

Love,

Alyssa

Jim Albert said...

Thanks! :)