Sunday, May 27, 2007

Initial Post




When David Letterman learned that musician Warren Zevon was diagnosed with incurable cancer he opened up an entire show to Zevon. That show Letterman asked Zevon if there was anything he understood now, facing his own mortality, that he didn't before. Zevon simply replied "Enjoy every sandwich."

When I was diagnosed with incurable cancer, my oncologist advised me not to spend my days on petty things.

I like my oncologist. He's a no-quit, positive gentleman, who still tackles the realities.

But his comment did make me think . . . should any of us ever spend our days on petty things? The diagnosis of cancer really shouldn't, and hasn't, affected my approach to each day - to make the most of it, to try to help others, to try to be the best person I can be . . . to enjoy every sandwich.

We're all dying. Each day, somewhere, a loved one will leave home and tragically not return. Life is precious. Each day is precious. Don't spend any of your days on petty things.

My wife Barb and I have started this blog just as a way of sharing thoughts and expressions. We appreciate any comments in return.

1 comment:

Ben Witter said...

Tomorrow morning March 13th we're going to say our final farwell's to our friend.

I didn't get to share much life with Jimmy over the past 28 years since High School, but I'll always remember the great times we had during ELCO basketball.

I'll also always remember passing his house every time I played the 11th hole at Lebanon Valley Golf Course.

Good bye good friend!

Ben Witter